Friday, August 10, 2012

Manifesting Fear

I find that as a horror writer / creator you must be unafraid to take your reader to that dark place they don't want to look into.

This skill requires an almost abduction like quality...you have to make your reader choose to see that place. You have to seduce them, trick them, or even blitz them into that spot. Convince them they want to see whats behind the locked door. Make them think they would LOVE to dive into the muck.

I like to leave my readers with a feeling of unease, something that may creep up again at two in the morning as you navigate the pitch black house OR cross a parking lot, in a less savory area - alone - returning to your car.

I don't want you to feel safe, I want you to embrace the horror all around, festering in the real world. I strive for writing that captures that reaction and pushes it to the forefront. my Monsters don't want to be ignored, they want to play.

I like to create a sense of normalcy...maybe take a group or structure we thinks keeps us safe. Break that bad boy open and show you the maggots and puss right under the surface.

When I start creating characters and put words to paper I never let these motivations get too far out of focus.

On that, the writing has been moving freely the last two days. My collaboration with Christopher Gibbs is developing into something that just may shatter my own expectations. Each day I see CUTTER stretch and grown. The story, the characters are rising out of the miasma to become solid and textured.

The next few days will be for review and deep thinking on how I should progress on each of the pieces and projects I've got my hands in.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I agree with all you've said. I also, am a horror writer.

    Loving the page. Keep up the good work.

    Swing by my page
    http://grimmreviewz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog you have, thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete